Pages

DISCLAIMER

ALL REVIEW SCORES ARE BASED ON HOW MUCH I ENJOYED THE MEAL, THEY ARE NOT RESTAURANT SCORES.

Tuesday 19 July 2011

CHESHIRE CHEESE INN (Dunbar St.)

So I went to the Cheshire Cheese on Dunbar for lunch yesterday. Sorry, I was working and dirty, so I left my fancy camera at home, but this surprise stop made me pull out my iPhone.

 Being that it's a British restaurant and I hadn't tried too much British cuisine, I went for a Toad In the Hole, which is home-made sausage cooked in a Yorkshire battery, traditionally served with veggies, and mashed potaotes, along with some onion gravy. 

The mashed potatoes were good, with a bit of parsley on top, but pretty close to what you would make it home. Nothing too crazy here. The veggies were boiled, maybe a bit too long (or a bit old), as they didn't have a particularly strong flavour to them, but they weren't unedible and could be seasoned to your personal tastes.


The Toad In The Hole. First off, the British know how to make sausages, that's for sure. The sausage had great flavour but wasn't too overpowering or spicy. The Yorkshire itself was beautiful, soft, fluffy, and complimented the sausage with onion gravy every single bite. The only minor complaint was that one corner of the dish was definitely drier, the Yorkshire was harder there and the meat has turned almost into a pepporoni. I understand a dish like this takes 45 minutes to make so everything is made ahead of time, but something got fumbled and I did have a bit of a hard time getting through that corner piece.  

The Toad In the Hole was $11.99, and along with a Kilkenny pint ($7.85) it out to around $20 before tip. If you want to try some good authentic British food, check The Cheshire Cheese out, there are multiple locations around Vancouver. I apologize again for the short review and lack of photos, I will be more prepared next time and not in a rush for work as I type this. 

Cheshire Cheese Inn on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Liking this blog a lot, keep it up! Perhaps we can meet up for a meal soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that is a fun job working in the film industry. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...pretty expensive lunch... and me eating cup-a-soup to save money....

    ReplyDelete